South Shropshire News
Does Your Family Have What it Takes to Survive?
16th April 2014
Designed to inspire fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, the Bear Grylls Survival Academy offers a rare chance for a lucky few outdoor enthusiasts to learn Bear’s extreme survival techniques.
The 24 Hour Family Course will comprise of a combination of survival skills and adventure tasks designed to put the enrollees to the test. The course will run in Burwarton, Shropshire across varied woodland, heathland and water terrain. Undulating countryside surrounded by difficult ground with plenty of challenging water features to take on means this location, which is a stone's throw away from rugged open moorland and dense woodland, really lends itself to a totally wild adventure.
Techniques taught will include learning how to build and light a fire, how to navigate at night, best ways to use a knife for survival, foraging for grubs and rodents, building a shelter, extreme weather survival and river crossings. The Academy has been designed for parents and 10-17 year old children by Bear Grylls and will be run by his close team of highly trained experts.
"As a father of three young boys I love sharing my survival techniques and going on family adventures together. It is not only exciting and fun but teaches them useful life and outdoor skills and what it really means to be able to look after yourself when the chips are down. So it is with great pride that we can now launch our 24 Hour Family Course in Shropshire as a great opportunity for parents to share these experiences with their children together." says Bear Grylls.
Bear Grylls has become known around the world as the most recognized face of survival and outdoor adventure, with experience gained during his seven seasons of Man vs. Wild/Born Survivor and the many skills learnt from his time with the British Reserve Special Forces.
About the courses:
• The Bear Grylls Survival Academy 24 Hour Family Course will run from midday –midday
• Course comprises an intensive survival skills course as outlined above with overnight stay in shelter
• On completion of the course enrollees will receive a Bear Grylls Survival Academy badge and certificate
• All meals, selected kit & accommodation included during course
• Limited to 12 places
• Course is only open to 10-17 year olds who must be accompanied by an adult/adults
• Cost is £429 for two places child & adult, children must be aged between 10-17 years and both parties must be physically active